Friday, December 28, 2007

Looking back: The saddest night of the year


Through all the days, all the assignments and all the pictures my thoughts often go back to one cold night in January. One winter night found me at West High amid a sea of grief as mourners came out to remember a classmate killed in a car accident.

I sometimes think I dwell too much on that night. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do professionally, to point a camera at so much grief, so much despair. The loss of Mike Ucci and the serious injuries to three other students was an open wound to the community as we all reflected upon the loss that night.

Months have passed and I am sure for some of those mourners that gathered that night around the pole the emotional scars have healed. But when I view these photos it brings back the sadness I felt that night. Some assignments never quite fade away.

No comments: