Thursday, May 29, 2008

It is alive


It may look like an alien creature out of some science fiction movie but it is actually my latest piece of camera equipment. It is a compact moldable tripod called a Gorillapod from Joby.

This is the SLR-Zoom model and is rated to support 6.6 pounds. It has articulated plastic knobs that can be formed around objects to support the camera securely on a variety of surfaces.

I have been testing it on my Digital Rebel to see how it well it works. I am not too sure yet about wrapping it around a fence post but I do think it will come in handy on hikes for slow shutter speed shots. The Gorillpod weighs 8.5 ounces and should be easy to pack.

I am not enamored with the tripod screw and will invest in a quick release plate down the road. I picked up mine from REi.com for about $45.

No comments: