Saturday, October 24, 2009

Sidelines


I have been covering a lot of football games lately and the action in the photos is starting to all look the same. It's hard to remember what last week's game shots looked like as I try to get something different from this week's games. Add on to that the fact that I can shoot as many as four games in a weekend and getting a variety of unique sports action shots gets harder. Wandering the sidelines between the Tracy High sophomore and varsity games I did find a different shot and what I think is the best shot I have taken this year. It's not a photo of runner hurtling into the end zone or the battle for a deep pass. The game hadn't even started yet. I found these quiet moments as players prayed before the start of the game.

The rule for a photographer is you always keep your eyes open for a good opportunity but I have to admit I zone out a lot just like everyone else. it's hard being focused on one assignment for four hours or so and waiting for the varsity football game to start I stretched my legs with a trip to the north end of the field where it was a little quieter. teams were getting ready to line up in the end zone for the National Anthem as team captains readied for the mid-field coin toss. Tracy High's Depray Celestine took a moment to kneel on the field and gather his thoughts as he bowed his head. It was one of those quite moments I rarely see among the hoopla and noise of a high school football game so I squeezed off a few frames with the empty field in the background. A moment later he was joined by a teammate and and while the that image is nice I don't think it has the composition and feeling of the lone player. I really think by far it is the most telling football photo I have shot this year. I knew a shot like this would never make the paper so I just kept it for myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the fact that you took the opportunity to share this photo. It is very touching to me as a believer in Christ to see some positive things like prayer to be highlighted. I am an amateur photographer myself and can appreciate the lone player praying with the field in the background. Thank you for sharing this photo. I too would have loved to see it in the paper but I ma glad to have seen it at all.
Tony

Unknown said...

Thank you for showing more than just the physical part of competition. The single player is always moving, but both were very nice.