Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Year In Review: Burning man


This assignment takes two honors. This had to be the hottest assignment I had all year and definitely the strangest. In a quiet front yard in a secluded home in Banta a seventeen-foot-tall steel pumpkin man belched fire into the night sky.




Built as a decoration for a Halloween party the steel sculpture shot propane flames from it's head arm and chest in a hellish display sure to give nightmares to any trick-or-treaters who dared enter the yard. I can still remember the whoosh of the propane igniting and the blast of heat as the flames cycled from the flaming monster in the tethered to the yard. While I was taking the pictures I kept my scanner locked on to the Tracy Fire Department frequency just in case the Halloween display was mistaken for a structure fire.

No comments: