Sunday, May 30, 2010

Back in the saddle again


After six weeks of nursing a torn meniscus Alice and I finally hit the trail again today with a short hike at Mount Diablo. We took a short trip along the Knobcone Point Trail to test my knee's soreness.




It seems like forever when I tore it on another hike at Del Valle. Less than a minute in on that hike I knelt down to take a picture and standing back up there went my meniscus. A couple of weeks hobbling around on assignments, some physical therapy and at long last I was lacing up the hiking boots once again.




I really missed the trail. I have had a lot of stress going on in my life lately. Family crisis, major changes at work, rehabbing the knee I needed to get out for some fresh air and a look at some quieter moments. Alice decided we would test my hiking ability with a short two hour or son trek on a mostly level trail.




I have pushing the knee at work, it is still sore and a little swollen but I have been doing ok. Hitting the trail we were greeted with the first true spring day I can think of so far with lots of sun and warm temperatures on the trail. There were a few other hikers on the trail as we pushed along.


Except for a major case of hay fever probably due to all the wild grasses along the trail I was fine. the knee is still tender but I am glad I can still hike. We will be pushing it along a little more each weekend as I get back into shape. Our goal is hopefully a Yosemite trip this summer.
It was great to get back in the hiking saddle again. With all the drama lately I missed the relief of a quiet walk with a friend, I am glad I have it back now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, simply beautiful. You are so very talented!

MS said...

Yosemite - you will get some great photos there. Hiked the Vernal Falls/Nevada Falls trail a few years ago. Beautiful and not too strenuous.