Sunday, April 24, 2011

Solo

I needed a little quiet time away from everything, just a little time to breathe and try and get my mind right. I decided the best course would be a couple of hours hiking up to the top of Mount Diablo.




I didn't plan to take a lot of photos, just a when ever something grabbed me as pretty enough to stop to admire the view.




The weather was just right for a trip to the top and my iPhone's GPS recorder logged the trip and just under 14 mile roundtrip with a climb of just over 3,200 feet.  I took me 3 hours 4 minutes to trek from the Mitchell Canyon staging area parking lot to reach the summit building.  One day I'll break 3 hours.




It was a good hike, strenuous, challenging and  peaceful.  When the only sounds are birds in the nearby trees, gravel crunching under my hiking boots and the sound of my labored breathing as I negotiated the switchbacks it gives you time to think and reflect.  It quells the chaos and discord around about and recharges the batteries for another go.




It may not be as beautiful as Yosemite but Mount Diablo holds a special place in my heart.  Whenever I feel the walls closing in I turn to the wide open spaces of the mountain to get my mind free again.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Ah, I feel like I just went all the way to the top with you. Thank you!