Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year hike


I couldn't think of a better way to kick off the new year than with a hike so Alice and I set out for Mount Diablo for one of our favorite hikes to Donner Falls.





We knew all the recent rain would give us a good chance to see water in Donner Creek and the falls further up the trail. Arriving at the Regency entrance gate to the park we were greeted by the sound of water rushing through the creek always a good sign when heading to the falls.




The falls trail is just over six miles round trip along muddy trails which at times can be steep. the weather Saturday was a light mist and fog which hindered our views of the hillsides. We set out following the creek stopping to admire the step falls along the way.




There were a handful of other hikers and a group of horse riders on the trail with us and we even managed to bump into a couple from Tracy who were visiting the falls too. The fog made for dark spots on the trail and gave parts of the trail an eerie appearance.








The water was pulsing through the creek and waterfalls making for some great photo opportunities. I packed my Jobo GorillaPod for some small time exposures at some of the falls.






It was a great first hike to start the new year, cool weather fantastic views a good workout along the way.

2 comments:

Safari Mom said...

I love the last one the best I didn't see the pine cone falls :) Great job

Care said...

Mercy Glenn, I had to wipe the drops off my MacBook. These were so superb, I'm sure I felt drops. Terrific photography. I swiped a couple for my own blog if that's alright. As Danielle taught me, I will give you credit. How do you get the falls in the background and the clear-as-a-bell pinecones in the foreground? Fabulous