Thursday, March 29, 2007

Relay


Sometimes pictures happen by accident. This shot from a West High track meet was unexpected.

I was covering the 4 x 100 meter relay race and was getting ready to shoot the baton exchange between the second and third legs. I picked up the runner and followed up to the waiting next member of the relay.

I thought I would like the baton exchange best but actually the picture of the runner with the baton and the next racer in the foreground out of focus seemed to me to have more drama and interest.

Shooting with the lens at maximum aperture draws the focus of the reader to the baton and the juxtaposition of the baton near his eyes along with the outstretched arm waiting for the baton were the key to this shot. I wish I could say I planned for this but honestly it just fell together.

No comments: