Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pigeon Point


It’s a rare day when I take a picture just for me. Between the news and sports assignments when I am on my off time I rarely pick up a camera. But I have always had an interest in lighthouse and this summer I made pilgrimage of sorts to my first lighthouse.

I made the trip to the Pigeon Point Light Station, now a state park south of San Francisco. I shot almost 400 hundred photos of the grounds and view of the pacific Ocean and of all the images this view of pelicans skimming the wave tops is my favorite of that day.

Shot with a small 70-200mm zoom the wave's spray was frozen with a shutter speed of 1/2500 of a second. It was a simple picture to take, follow focusing on the pelicans as they peeled off the formation to search for food in the waves.

I made a gallery of my trip to the lighthouse online to share with other and even though the star of the page is the rust-stained lighthouse tower I still look back and smile of my photo of the pelicans on the wing. Even if doesn’t have flames and lots of action I think it is one of the best photos I took this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful birds!