Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Year in Review: The best photo that never ran

Ok so it's a dead coyote impaled on a fence, but there is a story behind it.  I was assigned to follow a "rattlesnake hunter" on an expedition south of town  Worst, most useless four hours of work this year.  Not one rattle snake.  Seems we went out at the wrong time of day.  You would think a rattlesnake hunter would think of such things but that is just me.  As it turns out while checking a sheep ranch for snakes I stumbled across the coyote rotting in the summer breeze.  Apparently that is sheep herder for "coyotes stay away."  Four hours in a truck on a crappy road and all I had to show for it was a photo of coyote on a fence.  The editors rejected my submission and we ran a story of a rattlesnake hunters sans photo of him with a rattlesnake.  But hey I had a dead coyote picture for my files.