Monday, December 31, 2012

The Year in Review: The more things change

There is a proverb that says "The more things change the more they stay the same."  I'm not sure if that is true but I have seen so much change this year it seems hard sometimes to keep up.
Change was the theme of most of my year it seems.  The Tracy Press went through a sale landing with new owners, a new printing location and a new direction.  My role at the paper changed as I became more of a writer including writing a few cover stories.
The town changed with new council members, new business prospects on the horizon and a changing landscape as a long time building in downtown was razed.  There were tearful goodbyes and warm welcomes as some lives were changed forever.
I find myself at an odd place this New Year's Eve.  In the past I could look to the New Year for a fresh start and clean slate for work.  But with all the changes I feel a sense of upheaval and uncertainty.  The changes are far from over and I don't know where they will carry me.  It's a time of uncertainty as I look to a future shrouded in the changes yet to come.
Personally the changes have been hard, and I feel some changes will be almost too painful to bare.  I find myself alone in most things these days but that's ok.  I read somewhere those who fly solo have the strongest wings and I will need to be so very strong for the changes to come.
So with some doubt and trepidation I await the changes ahead.  2013 looms a few hours away for me and I am anxious to what it will bring.  Good or bad changes come to everything and everyone.  Nothing lasts forever and the more they change the more things stay the same.